Losing belly fat does not necessarily mean restricting your diet or doing your ab exercises – sometimes just eating the right food may also aid in losing belly fat. Did you know blueberries will help you do just that?
It is common knowledge that blueberries are rich in antioxidants, but a 2009 study entitled Blueberries Boost Heart Health suggests that this popular fruit may be an important component to losing abdominal fat. Researchers at University of Michigan’s Cardioprotection Research Laboratory discovered that anthocyanin, the naturally occurring chemical present in blueberries, might alter the way the body stores and processes sugar. Over a 90-day test period, researchers fed rats that had been bred to be obese either a high or low-fat diet, the latter diet being enriched with whole blueberry powder. Results showed that the rats that were fed blueberries ended up with less abdominal fat, lower cholesterol and improved glucose control. These rats also lost body weight and fat mass.
Here are two suggestions on ways you can incorporate these tasty berries into your diet:
Flat Belly Salad
- Salad leaves of your choice
- ¼ cup cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
Salad dressing ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of half a fresh lemon
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- Mix salad ingredients in a bowl
- Mix together salad dressing, drizzle over salad and enjoy!
Flat Belly Drink
– 1 box of fresh blueberries
– 1 fresh coconut
- Chop off the top of the coconut to open up the shell
- Pour out the coconut water and spoon out the coconut flesh
- In a blender, blend blueberries, coconut water and coconut flesh
Karen Loke – Founder and Practitioner, Restoring Mums
Photo Sources: Internet